Friday, February 29, 2008

A Good Weekend to be a Lesbian




Hello Darlings,

I've been absent for a while because I am the last wave of human animals in the US to contract the current PLAGUE going around. You know the one I'm talking about since almost everyone I know has had it. After a week, chained to my couch, I thought I was getting better until I caught a peasant painting a black X on my front door.


Needless to say, I went out last night. I attended the GLAAD party (gearing up for the big Glaad Awards this season) and Platinum at East/West. What a night! Everyone was out. If I get some photos sent to me, I'll put them up (I myself could not bare to bring my camera since the mere motion of pushing down the little button would have sent my dilapidated body into a coma for sure).


Since I could barely keep my head up last night, I noticed almost everyone at the GLAAD event at ELEVEN was wearing very cool black shoes. My friend Jovy took a photo. Mine are the Kenneth Cole's on the left.

Anyway, onto the gossip. Then the unbelievable line up of dyke-apalooza that is this weekend in Los Angeles.

Gossip item number one:
A few little birdies told me that after something like 17 years together, Robin and Sandy have broken up. If you don't know who I am talking to, please reference Dawn and Cyndi on THE L WORD.

First, apologizes to the gay men for this lesbionic blog entry...but the world is your gay oyster, so let us sisters have a little fun.










YOUR HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA - FOR LESBIANS



First, tonight... you cannot miss this!

Speaking of GIRL BAR (owned by Sandy Sach's), tonight as part of Poppy Champlin's comedy night, it's the LESBIAN SHORT FILM NIGHT.


I've seen most of these and it's going to be hysterical. Two of them star the hysterical Jane Lynch: THE FRANK ANDERSON PROJECT and LOVE IS LOVE.

The other is made by Poppy herself and is about the upcoming Sappho Bacchanal, The Dinah Shore Weekend.

The third is by the infamous Karey Dornetto, creator of the hysterical HI, I'M ILENE. So I'm sure it's going to be wrong, wrong wrong.



The party starts at 8 pm and costs a mere $5. Click on the flyer to enlarge for details.

Get there by 7:30 for a table, and there are drink specials starting at 9 pm, I believe.







Oh, I shoulda mentioned this first, but today - FRIDAY - Ellen is going to speak out on her show about the recent school shooting of Lawrence King.


For the first time...I think EVER...since starting her talk show she openly claims "I'm GAY AND IT'S OKAY".

Lawrence King was shot a few weeks ago in Oxnard by a fellow 14 year old boy who he had just asked to be his Valentine. This incident reiterated the need to eradicate the constant "fag-as-a-punch-line" bull shit in this country (please reference that horrible John Gibson.

Ellen speaks to that as well and I have to say..."Thank you, Ellen!" Thank you for taking time out from your show to reiterate this.

Back to the partying. (Please, you know we cannot celebrate without first having consciousness about our civil rights, mm-hm, please right?).

So after the show tonight at Girl Bar, think about stopping by O BAR for Shannon Kempa's new upscale girl night there. Bottle service available and PINK vodka is the sponsored liquor there. If you haven't had that yet it's like liquid CRACK since it's not only caffeinated, but herbalized as well.

For those of you with some tread worn on your shoes, O BAR used to be FELT, where Linda and Michelle of FUSE had the infamous and undoubtedly best lesbian night ever anywhere in the universe on Tuesday nights. Seriously, I think every woman I slept with in the '90's I met at that night!

Okay, speaking of Linda and Michelle, FUSE is teaming up with ILENE CHAIKEN and OURCHART to bring you life imitating art. Life imitating SHOWTIME'S night time sudsy lesbo soaper THE L WORD actually.

FYKE NIGHT!
There will be NO GUEST LIST for this event.
THIS WILL BE A SOLD OUT EVENT SO BUY YOUR TICKETS EARLY FRIDAY AT TRUCK STOP.
TICKETS WILL BE SOLD FOR $20.
Tickets can also be purchased at the door the
night of the event.
$10 between 9:00-9:55pm
$20 after 9:55pm
YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS THIS!


Okay, if oil wrestling isn't really up your lesbian alley, you have the choice of two FABULOUS lesbians plays that have both received wonderful reviews:


STAY FOREVER: The Life and Music of Dusty Springfield

For more information and tickets click here.

Dynamic singer/ actress Kirsten Holly Smith brings the great Dusty Springfield vibrantly to life through song and monologue in the world premiere of STAY FOREVER!

Thurs/Fri/Sat at 8 p.m. Sundays at 7 p.m.
The Renberg Theatre, Village at Ed Gould Plaza
1125 N. McCadden Pl.
Los Angeles, CA 90038





PROVE IT ON ME


KJAZZ is sponsoring a wine and cheese reception this Friday night - but the show has been extended due to extremely good reviews until March 30th, so catch it any night!



If you're still alive on Sunday, don't forget to catch the new episode of THE L WORD at Falcon - two showings, one at 7 and one at 9 pm. See it with 400 of your closest lesbian friends under the stars.

If you know anyone at IN MAGAZINE, you should call them and tell them to get you into the 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY PARTY, also happening Sunday night.

Kisses,

The Lesbian Diarist

2 pithy remarks. Click here to Comment:

Anonymous said...

JD, I check your site daily, you're amazing! I'm in SF and your photos of parties in LA really brighten up my day. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Apparently it's a good weekend to be in California...lucky, lucky you....!