Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ilene Chaiken takes on Girl Bar's Sandy Sachs on The L Word


Will wonders ever cease? I guess if you live long enough...

Ilene Chaiken does nods to famous and infamous real lesbians in her show - that's no secret.Well, maybe it's  a secret, so if you don't know yet... Chaiken draws on her own real life experiences to create her characters.  Something that's an even bigger "no secret" is who her new character Dawn Denbo is based on, none other than famed LA Girl Promoter Sandy Sachs.

Sach's, along with partner Robin Gans, have been ruling the Sapphos night scene in Los Angeles for about twenty years now with their GIRL BAR brand.   



Actress Elizabeth Keener, (who also starred in Liz Lachman's hysterical lesbian short, GETTING TO KNOW YOU, and is the sister of Catherine Keener, both pictured here flanking director Lachman) nails the Sandy Sach's impersonation to a TEEEEEEEE with hand gestures and even the voice, as you can see from this sneak peak scene to next week's episode below. It's a flashback to fifteen years ago and Chaiken's version of what might happen behind closed VIP room doors:



Back in the day, Sachs had quite the reputation for crushing any competing lesbian promoter, and although a scene like this is a little over the top, her behind the scenes business tactics were as such.  Sachs was one of the subjects of a documentary called POWER LESBIANS, which aired last year on the LOGO network, where she even discussed her rise to success and admitted, "I crush my competition".  

Things have mellowed lately and now there are several really fantastic promoters producing a variety of nights for the ladies here in LA. But back in the day... I swear, it was like watching a lesbian sequel to The Goodfather watching all the promoters conspire and vie for the lesbian nitelife crowd. Some casualties were Stephenie with Fuel, and Joanni Weir with CLUB BANSHEE (which I always enjoyed and can still remember spotting a younger Ellen and others in the crowd some nights).

In honor of Chaiken's portrayal of Sachs, I thought I'd share with you another hysterical parody, if you will, made by television writer and stand up comedian Karey Dornetto, called "Hi, I'm Ilene" where she spoofs, well, Ilene Chaiken.

I guess if you're a famous lesbian, you are bound to be lampooned by other famous lesbians.

I still can't see Ilene in person or on tv without chuckling and thinking of this video! I don't know why, but this just cracks me up so much, I never tire of watching it.



If you have a good eye, you'll also notice stand up Erin Foley in this, as well as former VP of the now defunct Q Network Alexis Fish.

And in honor of all the lesbian promoters in WeHo, here's a list of 'em.
Tuesday Nights - EVELEN Niteclub - Fuse Events
Thursday Nights - East/West - Shannon K
Friday Nights - Truck Stop, Here Lounge, Fuse Events
Friday Nights - O Bar, Shannon k
Friday Nights - Girl Bar, The Factory
Sunday Nights - The L Word Screening - Falcon, Fuse Events


And here's the latest Dinah Shore event by Sandy Sachs called - ironically enough - SHE BAR (after the club in this season's THE L WORD)

6 pithy remarks. Click here to Comment:

MikP said...

"I gave her caaaancer"

Anonymous said...

Hi JD,
I think Ilene Chaiken did an amazing job portraying Sandy Sachs in the L Word.
You are right on about what you wrote regarding back in the day. I had some ugly business experiences with Sandy Sachs/Girl Bar for many years.

Keep up the great work with your website you are Smoking

Joani Weir
Back in the day Club Promoter for
Dinah ShoreWeekend, Klub Banshee, Club Max, She Bar with Marla Fidler, The Woman’s Room, and Woman Out for Laughs Comedy Specials etc…..

Joani Weir said...

Hi JD,
I think Ilene Chaiken did an amazing job portraying Sandy Sachs in the L Word.
You are right on about what you wrote regarding back in the day. I had some ugly business experiences with Sandy Sachs/Girl Bar for many years.

Keep up the great work with your website you are Smoking

Joani Weir
Back in the day Club Promoter for
Dinah ShoreWeekend, Klub Banshee, Club Max, She Bar with Marla Fidler, The Woman’s Room, and Woman Out for Laughs Comedy Specials etc…..

Alicia Donovan said...

Greetings JD,
Thank you so much for clarifying this.. I have been in many heated, I guess heated discussions with several of my friends explaining the connection. They did not believe me for the longest time, I started to read back issues of the Smoking Cocktail and saw this posting..
Is there some type of feud between Ms. Chaiken and Sandy Sachs as Ms. Chaiken does attend the ClubSkirts events..
Just a thought? I believe Ilene needs to do some press for Kathy Brooks and my favorite Mariah Hanson.

Anonymous said...

Greetings!

It was a little surprising seeing Sandy Sachs being portrayed on the L Word. I think it boosted her ego a little too much :/

The part that made me a little content was when she got busted for having an Underage Minor work for her..oops! I don't know if it was a coincidence or..? Considering my longggg, longgg reputable underage *ahem* employment with her.. :)

~L.A

Alicia Donovan said...

Long employment? Do explain?