Wednesday, June 4, 2008

WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? with Cathy DeBuono



Hello W.Y.P Viewers,

Well, I'm off to Japan at the end of this week, I'm sure I'll fit right in there... My film "Out at the Wedding" is the closing night feature at The Tokyo Gay & Lesbian Film Festival and they have invited me to come on out and be there for it. How cool is that?! If you don't know much about "Out at the Wedding" you can check out it's webpage, www.outatthewedding.com, it has been racking up awards all year the latest of which is LOGO's New, Now, Next Award - Audience Choice for Best Future Feature. You can see some clips of it on my myspace page (www.myspace.com/cathydebuono).

Anyway, saying all of that to say - this is why there is no new W.Y.P. for you this week. The good news is I'll be shooting footage of my journey in Japan and using it to create a prototype of a new online travel show that I'll be producing and co-hosting with my lovely fellow actress, Jill Bennett (In Her Line of Fire, Dante's Cove).

When I return from Japan, I will have a couple of days to recuperate before I'm back on a plane to Philidelphia to shoot "Tremble & Spark", the first of a trilogy of film noir shorts from producer Kelly Burkhardt where I will be playing detective Charlie Forest, and starring opposite Jessica Graham's (2 Minutes Later) villaness, Veronica Anderson

I plan to shoot footage there too, and aim to have new episodes of W.Y.P. ready upon my return, the second week of August. My mom and little sister plan to visit me there, and I plan to rope them into spilling their guts on camera... (insert evil laugh here). Should be fun - until next time!

Be Well,

Cathy DeBuono


Finally... "What's Your Problem?" is back with a brand new episode!

Episode 17: "Photos, Friends & Pheromones: Part II"

My Guests: artist, Kerry Krenzin
&
my dear friend, John W. McLaughlin

Episode 17, "Photos, Friends & Pheromones: Part II" picks up where we left off last week with Cathy and her guests - her dear friend and co-creator of their current project in development, Slate&Kelly (www.myspace.com/slateandkelly), John W. McLaughlin and artist/photographer Kerry Krenzin.

In part II, they get to a letter from W.Y.P viewer "hoops", who has questions about how to navigate dating when you bring mental illness and physical scars to the table.

The three out friends discuss this issue while Lucia takes a breather to deal with a tummy ache in the other room... (bad cheese?) When they decide to share their scars with us veiwers Cathy drops trou, and despite her on camera decision to edit it out... it some how makes the final cut anyway.

While the issues addressed today are certainly nothing to laugh about, Cathy and her guests find a way to keep us smiling... as usual.

If you have a question or issue you'd like Cathy to address you can email her at cathy@cathydebuono.com. Please indicate what name you would like her to use when addressing your letter publicly.

For news and updates about Cathy's vlog and other projects, keep an eye on her blog at www.myspace.com/cathydebuono

For more information on Kerry Krenzin, go to www.kerrykrenzin.com




Episode 16:
"Photos, Friends & Pheromones"

My Guests: artist, Kerry Krenzin
&
my dear friend, John W. McLaughlin


Episode 16, "Photos, Friends & Pheromones" picks up the fun right where W.Y.P. left off as Cathy hang's out and has cocktails with artist, Kerry Krenzin and her dear friend and actor John W. McLaughlin.

In addition to taking on viewer letters that explore such things as disappointing your parents in order to chase your dreams, and the gay ole issue of nature vs. nurture. The three out friends also take us with them to the recent "What's Your Problem?" party at The Standard Hotel here in Hollywood where Kerry's first photography exhibit made it's debut - and a ton of fun was had by all.




cathy debuono

If you have a question or issue you'd like Cathy to address you can email her at cathy@cathydebuono.com. Please indicate what name you would like her to use when addressing your letter publicly.

For more information on Kerry Krenzin, go to www.kerrykrenzin.com






For photos and dish from Cathy's WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM? party last week on the Sunset Strip, hosted by lesbian party godfather Mariah Hanson of The Dinah, just click here.


FROM THE ARCHIVES OF WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?


In this episode, Cathy answers viewer mail and chats with comedian Suzanne Westenhoefer.




Episode: "Chow Not So Fun"

Guest: comedian, Erin Foley

In today's episode, Cathy talks with out comedian Erin Foley, who can currently be seen on LAST COMIC STANDING.



This one, is episode 13, "Chow Not So Fun". Cathy and comedian Erin Foley spend some time hangin' out. Despite having just survived a night of "chow fun's revenge", Erin manages to join Cathy for some reminiscing about how they met playing ultimate frisbee, they answer viewer letters and fruits and vegetables come into play when Erin and Cathy examine the large size of their hands.
Lucia (Cathy's off camera buddy) asks Cathy questions about learning how to ride while she's washing the "dinah dirt" off of her bike and Cathy's neighbor Daniel shows up right on time with cocktails.

After taking on three viewer letters and having a lot of laughs, Erin takes her first motorcycle ride ever on the back of Cathy's Triumph...

For information about Erin's upcoming shows and to see video of her stand up go to www.erinkfoley.com


Online Videos by Veoh.com

ABOUT CATHY:

While Cathy DeBuono is an actor, (And Then Came Lola, Out at the Wedding) she also holds a Master's Degree in Clinical Psychology and has several years experience as a Therapist. She's here now to take on your problems and deepest darkest demons...

Her video blog "What's Your Problem?" made it's debut on LOGO's AfterEllen.com in January and since then has become one of the site's most downloaded vlogs, and Cathy's mix of humor with a strong dose of heartfelt advice has won her the hearts of women of all ages around the entire world.

Nominated in LOGO's 2008 NEW, NOW, NEXT AWARDS for BEST. LESBIAN. VLOG. EVER, Cathy's "What's YOUR Problem?" will now be featured here on The Smoking Cockail.

For more information on Cathy DeBuono, go to www.cathydebuono.com and www.myspace.com/cathydebuono

111 pithy remarks. Click here to Comment:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that the photo...at the...top of article...tire...um...wow. words fail...

Anonymous said...

I love Cathy but that photo of hers is hilarious. Is that supposed to be sexy?


Love ya JD:)

Anonymous said...

That photo of Cathy is Hawt sex on a stick dipped in chocolate and topped with sprinkles fierce change my spark plugs with whipped cream and a cherry on top sex-Ay. Ya'd have to be blind not to see that. It also helps that she is using her vlog to reach out to those who feel isolated within their own local communities, and brings a balance of humor and pathos to those who seek her guidance. Hawt!
Oh yea, she is also an excellent role model for the kids who may be searching for their own identities. Thanks JD for posting the pics and hosting her vlog.

Unknown said...

This photo of Cathy is H O T!
During her two-part vlog episodes with Jill Bennett...Cathy had mentioned that someone wrote in a blog that Cathy was suspected of being a tranny...Well hunnies...those twins sure look like the real deal to me! Like Cathy. She's 100% Genuine! I wouldn't be crushing this badly on a tranny.
Thanks for supporting Cathy and the lbgt community in all you do.

Anonymous said...

I just read that she doesn't have a license. How can she practice if she doesn't have one? That's illegal, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous ^^^^ Well, think of it more like a sort of 'advice column' rather than actual therapy. She's not prescribing medication or anything :P I like the vlog because it offers encouragement, empathy and suggests places people can go for actual help (when appropriate).
Oh, and Cathy *points at picture*... maybe it's about time you bought a new top, this one seems a little worse for wear... :P

Anonymous said...

Well said...~_~

Anonymous said...

I watched her Vlog on AfterEllen..I do not know what happened there..But she is so damn hot and sexy-plus her since of humor and laugh are contagious,and Bridget McManus calls her "Pure Sex"!! I totally agree..she can act,she is a psycologist,and she is so down to earth and sweet..yet I love the feminine side of her..in her actions and pictures..but the masculine side I absolutely love--God she is hot..and to each hos own..but I would gladly get lost with her on a desert island anytime..ty for bring her to us here at The Smoking Cocktail..

Anonymous said...

Hot and therapeutic. What more can you ask for. BTW, my understanding is that she is accredited by the State of California to provide counseling. Now if they would just accredit those biceps, HAWT.

Anonymous said...

RE the comment saying Cathy isnt licensed..
Dr Phil hasnt been licensed for years and 'allegedly' has a number of miss conducts & fraud to his name, YET a lot of people watch his show and tune in for his advice
Secondly, until there is evidence that Cathy isnt licensed comments on the issue shouldnt be made, its potentially damaging.
PS - The Dr Phil incidents are alleged but have been discussed on news channels reporting on court cases involving him regarding the said allegations, im not being hypocritical.

Anonymous said...

LOL, people are funny. It's getting to be quite the atmosphere over at AE. Vlog fans are drawing up sides and taking pot shots at the other vloggers....(Cathy has has no license) Quite conducive to entertainment I'm sure. Cathy is great, she has a very professional and interesting vlog and gives solid advice to those who ask. I'm sure she'll have a huge following wherever she goes. I know I'll watch because she's always sexy, funny and highly entertaining.

cathy@cathydebuono.com said...

Cathy rocks. Glad she's here... glad she's ANYWHERE! Will follow her wherever she goes...

Anonymous said...

One more reason why the smoking cocktail is wicked cool.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, great news! Whoo, I'll definitely be coming here for Cathy's vlog now

Anonymous said...

She's THE perfect woman if you ask me. I totally have a crush on her and not (only) because the way she looks. Never saw/met anyone like her.

Anonymous said...

glad she is still doing whats she doing and her vlog found a new home!

Anonymous said...

12:43 PM there is evidence she isn't licensed. All you have to do is look her up on the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. She does have a Masters Degree and in the past she was licensed as an Intern Marriage And Family Therapist (In Training). But that expired. And she has never been Board certified as a Therapist. But at the end of the day her vlog is an entertainment vlog offering friendly advice so it shouldn't matter.

Anonymous said...

If I could deal with my problems and issues over a glass of champagne with people like Cathy and call it "therapy," then I'd go to therapy all the time!

sageweb said...

Love Cathy love her vlog. Thanks To JD for hosting her. You both are awesome.

Unknown said...

I must say that the attention being given to the legality of Cathy's advice opposed to the ability of Cathy in giving advice is intriguing to say the least.
She has quantified her ability by holding a Master's Degree. Which is NOT an easy accomplishment in of itself. If speculation is truly to come into play here, perhaps some of the naysayers are having difficulty in accepting that a former, accomplished, suitably awarded athlete ie JOCK, to have such mental chops to be given a Master's Degree in any field. But to have done so in a very cerebral, intellectually challenging field as a Clinical Psychologist!
Brains, Brawn & Beauty....such a triple threat! She has endeared herself to her loyal following with her sincerity, compassion, empathy...so down to earth. She wears her heart on her sleeve. I can only speak for myself, but There have been some tender moments in her vlogs that made me want to just hold her and protect her from the world, and yet there are other moments where she just astonishes me with her strength of character, of being, when she gives such incredible encouragement to her guests, and to the readers who write in. Perhaps there are other viewers that have had the same feelings, thoughts. It's her inner beauty as a genuine person that has endeared her to me the most. Such a breathtaking soul. She deserves all the accolades possible! I was very disappointed in her ranking on the AE Top 100 Women. She deserved to be soooo much higher. She's the complete package! Okay, enuff said...as least for this blog post, for now!
Be loving Cathy D, from CT
Be Well,
Patti

buildingbeginswithme said...

Cathy you are an incredible woman with or without a....shirt

Lezlie Mac said...

Licensed or not, Cathy offers sought after advice, with great understanding, humanity, empathy and a funky, down-to-earth sense of humour.
What's there not to like? Wether on AE or here, this vlog is worth following.
Please keep up with the amazing work. And stop posting such pictures of Cathy, tires, grease and torn shirts.
She's so hot it's distracting...

Anonymous said...

God, I won't be able to look at tyres in the same way ever again.

If there's something in international news about the discovery of a woman with an unusual sexual anomaly, because she's a tyre-sexual..we'll know who to blame lol.

Love Cathy and her vlog. Possibly the only therapist I would gladly pay $100 an hour (or more) to go see on a regular basis- with or without a license. The fact we see her for free is proof that miracles DO happen :)... And this one came in the form of a beautiful, intelligent and amazingly talented woman. Sometimes..life is super sweet man. You're awesome Smoking Cocktail! We bow down to you :)

Anonymous said...

When is there going to be new CB episodes up?

Anonymous said...

Didn't even notice the tyre until you mentioned it.

Anonymous said...

When are new episodes going to be shown?

Anonymous said...

i just can't wait anymore! when will the new videos be up???

Anonymous said...

Yay :) new video - Suzanne is hilarious! Loving the photo at the top of the page too ;) And a Janet Robin song at the end...I think you just made my day.

I still get mistaken for a boy occasionally now - used to get shouted at because I wore boys clothes. I just say screw em' because they are just trying to bring you down. Great advice as per usual.

Anonymous said...

good to see that Cathy is right on the ball again getting these vlogs out on time.
Cathy, step away from the mirror, stop posing, and do your vlog. JD took a chance bringing you over here, and your throwing her under the bus for her kindness.

Anonymous said...

Who knows what the holdup is, but I will keep checking 'til it's up. Can't wait for more from Cathy. I think she's brilliant and funny and charming. Maybe there are technical difficulties or something. I shall be patient.

Anonymous said...

hey anonymous, step away from the keyboard and stop posing, these kind of comments are old and tired.

Anonymous said...

^ A bit harsh aren't we? I'm dying to see the new vlog too, but really?

Anonymous said...

Am I the only person who was really irritated by the fact that the video had to reload every few seconds so it kept cutting out? This is the only place i've ever had any problem watching video content....and I was really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Cathy is back. First let me say I enjoy that the swear words weren't bleeped out because it made the whole conversation more real to me. I love that fact that it was longer and that Cathy spent a goodly amount of time on the viewer questions, giving thoughtful and very good advice. In the end it was the W.Y.P. I've come to love, but with additional benefits. Kerry is cute, cute and cute. John, what a handsome guy and so Cathy's brother from another mother. Excellent work and glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Cathy left AfterEllen because of "creative differences". The vlog is the same. I see no change. Did Sarah Warn ditch her because she couldn't produce her vlog on time? She was always late or didn't even deliver.

beyondthepale said...

Glad to see you back Cathy. I've beent waiting paitently-ish. I'm glad to see the WYP party was a success. Keep the vlogs coming, and good luck with your other projects.

Anonymous said...

Here's my thought on nature vs. nurture: who cares? Either way, it's not CHOSEN. If sexuality is biologically ingrained, then it's biologically ingrained. If it arises out of the circumstances of upbringing, then it's a result of social conditioning, much like our understanding of gender roles, authority structures, aesthetics, and a million other things. Whether it comes from nature or from social conditions doesn't affect whether we had any choice in the matter.

And even if we did: so what? I'm sure there are people out there for whom being straight or gay (or at least living as straight or gay) was a choice, and as far as I'm concerned, that's a choice that people should have a right to make without being harassed over it.

I recognise that this isn't a POV that's going to help us combat the religious right or anything, but it's the attitude I try to hold while interacting with other people.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back Cathy!! Love the new episode and the pics! Kerry and John rock!

Anonymous said...

Cathy looked so adorable and dorky in those glasses. W.Y.P. continues it's excellence. Great advice on both letters. I remember a few years ago questioning the nurture vs nature of my own homosexuality and finally coming to the conclusion that it really didn't matter how I got here, just that I did. It's an interesting question and I loved Kerry, John's and Cathy's response. Great vlog, glad it's back.

Anonymous said...

Seeking approval or validation for being gay is never going to get you anywhere, either way you are who you are. That being said I think that every gay person who has ever been have questioned why they are that way. I thought the answers to the question were thoughtful and thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

Welcome comeback!, this vlog is too good and too important to be off the air for long!
I look forward to the next episode :)

Anonymous said...

That was outstanding. So, so great to have you back, Cathy. And your friends were really good and had great advice. Interesting topic, too. I love your message that it's ok to be who you are, no matter what, no matter how you got there. That was an inspiring vlog. Can't wait for more.

baygrl said...

This was WYP at it's best! So glad you're back and looking forward to more

Anonymous said...

This is without a doubt the best vlog on the internet. I couldn't be happier about it's return. I went to college and received a degree in Business Administration, but my heart has always been elsewhere. I am 28 years old and just recently have been reviewing ways to live my dream rather then somebody else's (mainly my parents) dreams for me. It's hard, but Cathy's advice to not live just to stay off somebody's shit list really hit home for me. Great vlog, I'll follow wherever it goes.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Cathy rocks. My God those biceps.......slightly distracting from the good advice.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding!! Well worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

l0v3 the vlog today. totally worth the wait. so glad you're back.ily!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sammy, I'm singing for joy....WYP is back.

Anonymous said...

I'm young, I haven't started to ask myself the questions that were asked in the vlog today, but now I am aware of things that can happen while you chart the path of your life. Hope the next vlog is out soon.

Anonymous said...

Kerry certainly has that shy artist thing going on. Good vlog.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you're back Cathy! Loving your tattoos Kerry - when I got mine people said exactly the same thing, but hey - you only live once :) Good luck for future photoshoots!

All three of you gave some really good advice that can relate to different situations, thanks!

Anonymous said...

The lesbian answer to Dr. Phil is back and how we missed her. Nice vlog, good answers, great guests.

Anonymous said...

I love the answers to Rose's letter. Truly fantastic advice that every gay person out there can take to heart.

Anonymous said...

Thanks JD for hosting Cathy's vlog. It would have been ugly if we didn't have any place to view it.

Anonymous said...

With the advances of science in the realm of dna and genes I think there will be a gay gene found. Until then I think Cathy is right, we just have to determine that we love who we love no matter how we got there.

Anonymous said...

Hot Damn, the party at the Standard Hotel looked like a good time, wish I had been able to attend.

Anonymous said...

I want to live my dream life. It's providing behind the scenes help to people like JD and Cathy. In real life I'm a pharmacist. Never let go of the dream.

Anonymous said...

It's hard being out in this world, but imagine how hard it would be if it weren't for people like Cathy DeBuono. I think younger gays need to understand that the world wasn't always a friendly place, still isn't, but it's much better then it used to be. I see people taking pot shots at Cathy and other high profile gay entertainers and I want to slap them, not because I take it personally, but because I know where we have been and I know where we are and I think it takes an incredible amount of guts to be "out" in any profession, let alone a high visibiity one like the entertainment business. I think this particular vlog provides a great service to many people out there and it's not as if Cathy is getting paid to do it. I'm sure she is busy with other projects and I for one am glad she puts it out at all. For all those naysayers out there, we don't need the straights to beat us up, we are doing that very well all by ourselves. We need to stop and appreciate what we have.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Cathy!

This was a great vlog...very interesting and insightful. I always seem to get something out of it and relate to the issues that are raised. I appreciate the fact that you will continue bringing us more of what we need and enjoy. Keep it coming!!!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Cathy for making such a smart and helpful vlog. I don't think there is another thing quite like it anywhere on the intranet and it provides a great service.

I love the pics that Kerry took, I thought they were stunning.

Unknown said...

Welcome Back Cathy! It has been well worth the wait. So nice to finally "meet" John. He has often been spoken of fondly by you and now we viewers can see why. It was also wonderful to "meet" kerry as well. Very talented photographer, with a great artistic eye. The same talent is beautifully showcased in her artwork as well. I love the Tats. I have six myself and as anyone with a tat knows, each tat has its story/personal meaning. Thanks for letting us see the WYP party on film, as it allowed us viewers to be there vicariously. Looked like a wonderful party. As usual, you and your guests had wonderful thoughts to share with the letter writers. Irregardless of what our gender identities may be and whom we choose to love, it must be remembered and understood what a privilege, and gift it is to have someone to love and to be loved. There are those of us who have never or have yet to enjoy and experience such beauty. The one common essence of all religious paths is the attainment of pure joy through love. The greatest love is to learn to love one self. Cathy does a wonderful and beautiful job of showing us the different ways in which we can do just that. Thank you Cathy, and Thank you JD for giving Cathy a temporary home until she is able to find somewhere more suited to her needs. Cathy is a wonderful guiding light in the dark world we call life...

Anonymous said...

Mas y mas y mas. Yo quiero mas.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank Cathy & Co. for the advice. In a crazy coincidence, my mother had a little chat with me just after I'd watched the vlog. It turns out that some family members had a chat with her and they all agreed to be encouraging, even if they don't agree with my choices.

At any rate, I'm now considering taking some classes at night (things like digital video editing, photography, etc.) and trying to find little local productions to get in on. It's going to be difficult to pack into my schedule, but I'm still going to try.

Thanks again.
- Scooter

P.S. I'm sad you didn't get to name your kitten "Scooter". At least its name wasn't entirely boring.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, these things keeping better and better. I am sooooooooo glad Cathy is back.

Anonymous said...

I would be the reason why Cathy left is that Afterellen wouldn't let her have a man on her vlog- you know, the whole lesbians for lesbian thing.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why they let her loose, but their loss, our gain.

Unknown said...

{{{whimper}}}Where's Cathy's episode #17 Photos, friends and pheremones part II????

Anonymous said...

Cathy, glad you're back. Such a great vlog!

Anonymous said...

Yes, where is part 2? Cathy's myspace page said it would be posted, but it's nowhere to be found :(

Anonymous said...

That was awesome on so many levels. First I'm with Kerry, scars are hot!!! Two I think brains are hot and that makes Ms. DeBuono way to sexy for words. Great advice, your mental health issues are no more you then your blood pressure issues might be. I love this fucking vlog.

Anonymous said...

(Re: Part II)

That was awesome! Thanks to all of you for showing us you 'human' side....scars and all!

Angelpoo said...

That was awesome! Thank you all for showing us your 'human' side....scars and all!

The insight was awesome as usual!

Anonymous said...

Great vlog and it was a nice thing for Cathy to put herself out there by showing something as personal as scars.
In some cultures you are not deemed attractive or beautiful unless you have scars! Women scar their faces by cutting the flesh to create Keloid type scars.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes" - Marcel Proust

Anonymous said...

Another great episode. Thankyou Cathy and co. for sharing so much of yourselves with us. You have no idea how much it means to me. The entertainment is wonderful but the way you share your truth gives me courage to be myself and faith that it is the right, and only thing to do. You are my hero!

Anonymous said...

First of all I have to say it,
Cathy those white boy underwear made me swoon. I too have bipolar disorder. I take my meds and I deal with it as best I can. For you to say the things you did and the way you did just made me realize how it's part of who I am, but doesn't totally define me. Thank you so much for what you do, with just a few words you have opened up something inside me that has been an obstacle for a long time. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Poor Lucia!!!! "Dont' make me come in there" Cathy, you keep turning out great episode after great episode, keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Brava! Bellisemeo(sp?)KEWL vlog...I have a severe hearing loss, and Cathy has had been so considerate in her earlier vlogs in making sure the volume was clear, and when the letters are being read that the lips are visible so I can lip read...but...the two vlogs since...16 & 17...I have had some difficulties...there were voiceovers while showing Kerry's artwork/photographs...and several times kerry's face was facing away from the camera(upstaging herself)...no major deals...just a little extra was necessary to understand...so, that is my disclosure...usually there is no need for me to mention my hearing loss, unless they turn their face away while speaking to me or are talking to me from behind, then I have say....whatever.

I must applaud the three of you in your willingness to share your scars, especially you Cathy, since yours were in more "intimate" locations...

I think that we believe that our scars/flaws/imperfections make us less than "ideal" comes from the natural instinct of "survival" of the fittest...The strong will prey on the weak, so to protect ourselves, we cover up our imperfections, our weaknesses.

To me, if you are strong enough to share your vulnerabilities with me, just give me reasons to love you MORE! It touches me that you feel you can trust me not to hurt you, and you know you can feel safe with me. I have a protective nature and you trusting me in that manner just makes want to take you under my wing and shelter you, BUT never would I encumber you in any fashion.
So on that note you three have endeared yourselves to me that much more.
Kerry...don't feel bad about ur hotdogging on the ballfield...many a time, I have injured myself playing softball, and pulling STUPID bad ass moves while playing third base/catcher...I have lost count of how many times I've had opposing players(men & women!) PLOW into me while I was catcher!!! Broke my left hand ring finger...broke my nose(homeplate collision)...most of more serious injuries have come just lately in the past six years...right now i am recuperating from 4 broken ribs/partial collapsed lung(motorcycle accident last month)(no helmet either on a highway going 75mph) SO DAMNED lucky! Last week, ten stitches in right eyelid, broken nose from bar fight (I helped a damsel in distress) Ya know i even had a woman come on to me the day after fight..I'm major league black and blue and a pretty woman flat out said to me she was attracted to me and wanted to kiss me! My best guy friend said to me that I oughta get beat up more often...can ya imagine??
Anyhoo....wonderful vlog! Hope Lucia feels better...Thank you fore being strong enough to share with us your flaws/imperfections/scars...

Loving you from CT,
Be WELL,
patti

Anonymous said...

Once again a great mix of funny moments (John is a riot!) and insightful advices.
Thank you for not using beeps, they annoy me a lot, and it's not like we don't use swear words in everyday life (well, i'm an hot-blooded italian so i use them quite often!). But above all thank you for not editing out the "drop trou-scene" cause it was ... well ... really, really good!
On a more serious note, we shoudn't be ashamed of our scars, they are part of our life, our history, and sometimes they are the real proof we have survived it all and are still here and kicking!
Just a little complain: it was too short to fix my Cathy-addiction!
Now I'm out to watch it again.

Anonymous said...

When I used to play rugy we all used to run around showing off the biggest scars we had. I have a lump in my shoulder where my bone sticks out because I broke my collarbone playing. Before I used to hate it, but now it feels like a part of me :)

I always found DSM a little weird because of things like schizophrenia (or related disorders) being classed as a characteristic set of symptoms for a certain amount of time. The scale is huge. My advice would be not to let it be the biggest thing about you, or to let it define you. It's just another detail about a complex person.

Great vlog as always :D

Anonymous said...

love the vlog!!!! I have an 8 inch scar from the bottom of my neck to about halfway up the back of my head from brain and spine surgery. I don't think chicks necessarily dig that scar but i get a lot of random people asking me about it.

Anonymous said...

Inherent in this conversation is the intimation that having a disorder or chemical alteration in the brain is nothing more or less then that, a chemical reaction that is different in some way to other peoples chemical reactions. I don't think I've ever heard it so eloguently put as Cathy did in this episode and wow what a concept, your not less of a human being just because your chemistry is different. Very insightful.

Anonymous said...

I have soooooo many scars, from living my life at mock one with my hair on fire. Each one has a story that make me who I am. I appreciate Cathy showing us her scars, especially the drop the pants and display the tighty whities one. Keep up the good work Cathy.

Anonymous said...

Scars are like tattoos. They both tell stories about who you are. I like it. Great vlog

Anonymous said...

How hilarious that John and Kerry both get a thrill bare handing balls.

Anonymous said...

I've had two gf's with bipolar disorder and yes there were issues, but not because of their disorder, but because of the way they chose to deal with it. I agree that being bipolar is a bit like being gay....it's a part of you, but it's not the whole you.

Anonymous said...

I laughed really hard that Kerry couldn't quit pulling the threads out of Cathy's jeans. Not that I blame her.

Anonymous said...

Shit, ever since I started watching this vlog I'm constantly looking up disorders and seeing if I qualify.

Anonymous said...

When I grow up, I want to be just like Cathy, with cats who are well loved and get old old old, good friends, dorky glasses taped together and good advice for any who ask.

Anonymous said...

Fuck, I finally found this vlog, it sort of dropped off the radar for awhile and the folks over at AE weren't very helpful in sending me in the direction I needed to go. Glad I found it, was delicious as usual.

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I think roadwarrior said it best "delicious"

Anonymous said...

I find the DSM III R talk endlessly sexy, keep it up Cathy.

Anonymous said...

Will there be a episode before Cathy goes to Toyko? God I hope so!!!!

Anonymous said...

Was in a Psych class today and the professor was lecturing on Bipolar Disorder and it was eerily similar to Dr. DeBuono's information. I guess that just goes to prove how good she really is.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Cathy was a cat in a former life and that's why she relates to her pets so well and why they live so long. She does have a certain feline grace about her.

Anonymous said...

Didn't I hear that Cathy was going to be in a female version of Rocky a film by JD? I think that is an outstanding idea.

Anonymous said...

Cathy....you're still the hottest gal I've ever seen. (coming from a gay male) :-)
Great to see John Farrington. Love ya John. Been a long time. Hope life is treating you fabulously well.
Drop a line if you can. Loquinn@hotmail.com.

lots'a love...
Lee

Anonymous said...

kerry is realllllly hott (: she reminds me of elizabeth reaser. and i checked out her website. amazing stuff. hot tats too. just hot. in general. haha.
cathy, amazzzinngg advice as always.
john is adorable & hilarious.
i hope we see more of those two.

Anonymous said...

Wow. A show with Cathy AND Jill? I think I'm in heaven...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cathy is very busy, that's good because it means will be seeing more of her. Wicked Cool!!!

Anonymous said...

Very exciting news!!!

Anonymous said...

Shit DeBuono you're going to be all over the place.

Anonymous said...

The scar sharing reminded me of the scene from "Lethal Weapon 3" where Mel Gibson and Rene Russo were displaying and one upping each other on their numerous and various scars until they were both in their underwear. I can so relate.

I agree about liking scars. I view them as a sign of tenacity, endurance, and survival. "That which does not kill me only makes me stronger." Every one of my many scars tells a story. Some are from wrecks. Some remind me of people, places or travels, and one prominent one on my arm of my dear cat from long ago.

Thank you, Cathy, for sharing your scars and your stories. Have an awesome time in Tokyo. Kyoto and Hiroshima are beautiful and inspiring, respectively, if you get a chance to visit more cities.

I am looking forward to seeing Out at the Wedding when it is available on DVD.

Travel safely. Be well.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of Jill and Cathy working together. Too HAWT!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with that.

Di said...

Yeah, wow, Cathy and Jill. That will be great. Can't wait for more WYP, Cathy.

Anonymous said...

More Cathy in anything....

Unknown said...

They (Jill & Cathy) have such great chemistry on camera...ya can only imagine how great they are together in reality...KUDOS! Glad to hear of how great things were in Japan. Domo Arigoto, for sharing of your good experiences...looking forward to wonderful vlogs of those experiences...including those of your shoot in philly!.
Loving you from CT
patti

Anonymous said...

Jill needs to leave AfterEllen and come over here. AE might have started the video blog revolution, but they've lost their edge. When they began, they were so raw and open and it seems like they've become too sanitized lately. Just my opinion, but I think Sarah Warn is behind it. Cathy was too much for AE and she left. Good for her. Jill and Cathy blog? I'm in! They had amazing chemistry on their episode together. Come over here Jill! And you'll finally be able to say fuck!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with that. AE has become stale. Jill is a great wit and I think she and Cathy have great chemistry and work well together.

Anonymous said...

Absofuckinglutely, those two are so hot they could melt the polar ice caps. I for one will sign on to watch anything they choose to do. Cathy DeBuono is every lesbians fantasy and damn smart too. Lucky girl Jill

Anonymous said...

Jill and Cathy, I never noticed but they do have a definite chemistry. Very definite. I need to pay better attention.