Thursday, January 24, 2008

Baptists to Picket Ledger's grave for Playing Gay

A radical Baptist church in Kansas known for picketing the funerals of soldiers who perished in Iraq said it intends to protest Heath Ledger's memorial service with signs claiming the actor died and is in Hell because he played a gay character in “Brokeback Mountain.”

Shirley Phelps-Roper of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka said that she and other members will picket Ledger’s United States memorial services, not those held in his native Australia.

“You cannot live in defiance of God,” she said. “He got on that big screen with a big, fat message: God is a liar and it’s OK to be gay.”

A press release circulated by the church references Leviticus 18:22 in the Bible, which states that “thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”

“Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and has begun serving his eternal sentence there,” the Westboro Baptist announcement says.

Started 1955, the Topeka, Kan.-based church has conducted over 34,000 peaceful demonstrations opposing the homosexual lifestyle, according to their Web site, GodHatesFags.com.

The organization runs various Web sites, including GodHatesAmerica.com and others that condemn lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, Muslims, Roman Catholics and Jews as well as certain nationalities, according to Wikipedia.

5 pithy remarks. Click here to Comment:

Anonymous said...

There is so many things I want to say about that story but it feels like giving it energy makes their hate grow bigger.

I am blown away that they would serve a God that has hate on her agenda.

To each his own!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I like to think that I don't have "hate" in my heart, but every time I hear or read something about the Westboro Baptist "church", I know that I am wrong. I do know what hate feels like, for I hate them.

Mark in DE said...

In addition to finding this behavior disgusting on a personal level, I find it astonishing that these people feel qualified to speak for God! Yeah, yeah, we can all read the Bible, but we can all interpret the Bible in many different ways, too. Who's to say their interpretation is the right one?

Self-righteous, hypocritical bigots.

Mark

Anonymous said...

THAT IS OUTTAGEOUS! "God-loving" people should not do that. It is practically the same thing as condemning which is a sin in itself. Am I right? I mean seriously what are they thinking!?!?!?! The poor guy is dead...leave it at that. He was an awesome actor. I'll miss his films.

ron oliver said...

I adore the Westboro People. They expose the bald, ugly truth about religion and make every superstitious kook who babbles on about god and virgin births and their collection of dreadful clay angels purchased at the Walmart look like the nincompoops they are. And I don't wanna hear any more biblicial crap from my gay brethren (and "sistren"?) about "my God" and "my Christianity"; following myths as truths is a dangerous, slippery slope which always leads to disaster...such as the Sean Kennedy story which our dear JD has thoughtfully posted on this site. Is there a solution? Doubtful. You can lead the ignorant to water but you can't make 'em swallow it; you CAN however kick their stupid asses into the pond and let'em drown. It's about time we stopped playing nice, hmmm gay America?